Wednesday, August 03, 2005

3 voor 15 euro

I lost my faith in summer… the rains washed it all away. Summer in Enschede: cold, rainy, and windy… If there are some hails then this summer will be perfectly sucks.
Anyway, it helps me to stay at home, doing nothing but watching movies, and listening to music.

Couple of days ago I bought 3 DVDs from free record shops, ‘The Bone Collector’, ‘Memento’, and ‘Live at San Diego (music DVD)’. Sometimes they have old DVDs for cheap price, 3 for 15 euro (unfortunately, yesterday my friend told me one DVD is only 60 cents in Indonesia). Damn, I would like to go to Indonesia.

I’ve seen “Memento” for 3 times, but still I would like to watch it again. I can still see it from different perspective. It’s about Leonard (Guy Pearce) who can’t create new short-term memories after the accident (somebody raped and killed his wife, and he got smacked right in the head). Fist time I saw Memento, it remains me of “50 first date” (Drew Barrymore has similar condition as Leonard), only Memento is the thriller version of it...

I felt sorry for Leonard, some people abuse him … the sad thing is he doesn’t know it and he thinks he is doing the right thing. Of course that happen because of his ‘condition’. In the other hand, I admire his way of dealing things. He takes pictures, he writes notes and tattoos, although some tattoos and notes is not the ‘real fact’, he wrote it because he confused himself between reality and his own world. I start to question myself; do I look at the world as Leonard sees the world? Do I look it subjectively or objectively? We all seem so different but we’re just the same… aren’t we?

For people who like thrillers and unusual movies ‘Memento’ should be in your list. You will understand what I write after you see the movie.

“I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.” – Leonard